Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A delicious combination of Autumn favorites. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
- 1 package refrigerator pie crust (Pillsbury or your favorite)
- 4 lbs golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, stir together the apples, cranberries, crystallized ginger, sugar, salt, flour, lemon juice.
- Pour into 9" deep dish pie shell lined with pastry.
- Cut remaining crust into strips and weave on top of pie to create lattice top, or place whole crust onto top and cut slits in top for venting.
- Bake at 400°F for 1 hour in lower third of oven, covering edges with foil if getting too dark.
- Transfer to rack for cooling, serve with vanilla ice cream.
This recipe made enough for two 9" pies. The recipe looked intriguing, but the flavors were a bit too strong for my taste, competing rather than complementing each other--a lesson in keeping it simple. I will probably go back to Kittencal's Holliday Apple Cranberry Layer Pie (http://www.recipezaar.com/Holiday-Apple-Cranberry-Layer-Pie-148890). Not bad, just not my favorite.
A new family favorite! Made this over the holidays, substituted ground ginger. Use Homemade Pie Crust by Elizabeth Fullerton from this site. Wonderful!
We really enjoyed this. The combination of apple, ginger and cranberries was just amazing. I served it with whipped cream. I used granny smith apples as that was what I had and wanted to use up, but didn't want to make "just" an apple pie. Thanks!