From Sunset Magazine
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse apples, wipe dry, and firmly insert a stick into stem end of each fruit until secure.
- 2In a 1-quart glass measure or small deep microwave-safe bowl, combine candy and shortening.
- 3Place in a microwave oven and heat at half power (50%) until chips are soft, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Stir until smooth.
- 4If still lumpy, return to microwave and heat for 20-second intervals until candy is smooth.
- 5Quickly dip apples, 1 at a time, into coating to cover, letting excess drip back into bowl.
- 6Set apples, sticks up, in a 10- by 15-inch pan lined with waxed paper or cooking parchment.
- 7If desired, make ghost faces by pressing licorice slices into soft coating. If coating on apple is too firm, use melted coating to glue licorice in place.
- 8If coating gets too thick, reheat it briefly in the microwave at 50% power and stir.
- 9Let apples stand until coating is firm to touch, at least 30 minutes at room temperature or 10 minutes if chilled.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Ghosts
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.6
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 7.1 mg
- Sodium 46.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 41.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g