1/3 Photos of Apple Galette With Puff Pastry
1 hr 15 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
This is a combination of at least 3 recipes. I was feeling motivate to make an apple pie, then a crostata and got lazy. I didn't feel like making a pastry crust. So I searched and searched and found that puff pastry was an option, so here ya go! Enjoy! Prep times includes thaw time for the puff pastry sheet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 granny smith apples, medium, peeled, cored, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- sea salt, pinch
- allspice, small pinch
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold and diced
- 1 teaspoon sugar, Sugar in the raw, for sprinkling on crust (optional)
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon calvados, substitute water
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Thaw 1 sheet of puff pastry, about 30-40 minutes. Once thawed, unfold. If it cracks, press the seams together with wet fingers.
- 3Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. *a four sided baking sheet works best in case of drips.
- 4Halve apples, core>with melon-baller, peel apples. Slice into thin half moons. Place into a bowl. NOTE: *It is important to slice them thin or the pastry sheet will be done before the apple bake tender.
- 5Combine sugar and spices. Pour over the apples and toss to coat.
- 6You will make 3 rows of apples, leaving almost an inch of pastry exposed, all the way around.
- 7Overlap the apple slices one on top the other covering the apple by 2/3 because the apples will shrink while baking. Dot apple slices with butter.
- 8Make egg wash (mix egg and water together) and brush over the exposed pastry crust.
- 9Bake for about 15 minutes. Rotate once during baking. If the crust is puffed up and golden brown and apples tender, it's done.
- 10Meanwhile -- In a glass bowl add the calvados to the apricot preserve. Warm in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and stir. Warm a bit longer if necessary to thin.
- 11While the galette still hot, brush with apricot & calvados mixture.
- 12Serve warm with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Galette With Puff Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.7
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 77.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: