Recipe by jenny butt
Galette is the French word for flat cake OR tart.......this version is a pastry free apple tart, and is made with granny smith apples for their firmness and tartness........for a softer sweeter version, golden delicious apples can be used.................this recipe is from Better Homes & Gardens
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar (Raw OR demerara sugar can also be used)
- 10 granny smith apples
- 20 g unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 180 o Celsius.
- Line the base & sides of a round 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Heat the butter in a pan over low heat until melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice,and 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, stir until well combined.
- Peel the apples and put in bowl of cold water.
- Take an apple , cut into 1/4 's then core.
- Cut each 1/4, and slice to paper thin , and return to water.
- Repeat with remaining apples.
- Drain the apples & pat dry with paper towel.
- Put apple in larg bowl & add butter mixture and stir to coat.
- Arrange a layer of butter coated apple slices in a circle around the base of the prepared tin, overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle with a little of the remaining sugar.
- Continuing layering in circles with remaining apple slices & sugar.
- Melt the EXTRA butter & stir through the EXTRA sugar.
- Spoon or brush butter & sugar mixture over the top of the apple.
- Bake GALETTE in the oven for 50 - 60 mins OR until the apple is tender and golden on top.
- Stand to cool.
- When COLD, cover & refridgerate.
- Remove galette from the tin and cut into wedges to serve.