Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
The galette was possibly the first pastry invented. This one is rustic and very delicious!
Make and share this Apple Galette recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 lbs tart apples (3-5)
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Add 1/2 cup cold butter and cut into dry ingredients until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water, stir until mixture forms a ball.
- Form dough into flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill about 1 hour.
- Peel and core apples, cutting each into 8 wedges.
- In a pan over medium heat add remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add apples.
- Cook apples over heat until edges slightly brown, then add brown sugar and nutmeg. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Roll dough into circle on lightly floured surface.
- Carefully transfer dough to parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Pour apple mixture into center of pastry mounding apples in center.
- Gently fold edges of dough over apples, pleating as you go, leaving an opening about 4 inches wide in the center. Brush pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake in 375 degree oven about 40-45 minutes (until pastry is brown and apples are tender when pricked).
really tasty - I will make this again - it is almost a carmel-apple pie with the brown sugar and the butter :) I did make some changes: added 1+ Tbs of flour to the apples after adding the brown sugar and spices. The flour keeps the filling from running (something my mom always added for apple pies)
I made it a few times for the family and friends and they still are talking about it! Very easy, rustic and tasty. Try it!
Tastes delicious! I couldn't get the crust to hold up very well, but that might be because I changed things a bit... I used whole wheat flour for the crust, which tasted delicious, is more nutritious, and looks beautiful after being baked. I also added cinnamon (as carolinajewel mentioned) and sprinkled sugar on the egg brushed dough before baking. Thanks for sharing the recipe! My family really enjoyed it : )