Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Ready Steady Cook and presented by Janelle Bloom. Times and servings are estimates
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- cold water (icy cold)
- 2 apples (pink lady recommended, cored and sliced)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 60 g butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cream (pouring)
- Fritters - pour oil into a medium saucepan until one-third full.
- Heat over medium high heat until hot.
- Combine the flours and sugar with enough ice cold water to make a batter the consistency of thickened (doubled) cream.
- Coat the sliced apples in the batter and deep fry in batches for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden, remove to a wire rack to drain.
- Cinnamon Sugar - combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Caramel Sauce - combine the butter and sugar in a small saucepan, place over medium heat and cook 3 - 4 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stir in the cream and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Place the fitters on serving plates, sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar, pour over caramel sauce and enjoy.
I doubled this recipe because I knew my family and I had a feeling it was going to be a winner and that my family would want seconds. I was right! These are super yummy breakfast treat. I made extra of the cinnamon sugar mixture because I wanted to coat the apple fritters with the cinnamon/sugar mixture instead of sprinkling. The caramel sauce was yummo too. My family and I truly enjoyed this recipe and it's a definate keeper. tag game.
These were great! Loved the crisp outside and the batter was so easy to mix up. I served them as part of "dinner for breakfast" with maple syrup instead of caramel which worked well. A very nice treat with out fun dinner.
I made these as an after-school snack for my GD and her frieds. They scoffed them up and all gave a thumbs up. Coming from this finicky group that means five stars.