Recipe by L. Duch
This is wonderful recipe I found in Southern Living BBQ magazine. I is a wonderful snack for anytime. Very easy to make.
Top Review by nosmoe
Made this recipe this afternoon. Delicious. Only had one green apple, so I cut down the other ingredieents slightly. Still managed to pump out 38 golf ball sized Fritters. I also used buttermilk which I think made them taste richer. Great recipe! Try it. Thnx for a keeper.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups diced cooking apples
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- sifted powdered sugar, to sprinkle over cooked fritters
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients, make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg,milk, and melted butter, stirring, well' stir in grated orange rind orange juice, diced apple, and vanilla.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistend.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a large dutch oven; heat to 350 degrees.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil' fry fritters in batches 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain fritters well on paper and sprinkle with powdered sugar.