1/1 Photo of Apple Fritters
A comforting dessert recipe from the cookbook, German Cooking. Try slicing your apples as evenly as possible so that each fritter is cooked to the same level of doneness. Although this may not be a healthy dessert, it sure is yummy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 firm tart apples
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- 1In a blender or food processor, process the flour, salt, egg yolks, butter and cider. Process until smooth.
- 2In a large bowl, beat the egg whites.
- 3Fold the flour mixture into the beaten egg whites, just until combined.
- 4Peel and core the apples; cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 5Sprinkle the apple slices with lemon juice and toss with the sugar.
- 6Heat 4 to 5 inches of oil in a large and heavy-duty saucepan over med.-high heat until the oil is hot enough to sizzle when a tiny bit of batter is dropped inches.
- 7Dip an apple slice in batter - it should be evenly coated with batter, allowing excess batter to drip off. Repeat with several more apple slices.
- 8Carefully drop battered apple slices into the hot oil. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until the apple slices are cooked through and the batter is puffy and golden. *Work in batches so you don't overcrowd the pan*.
- 9Drain on paper towels.
- 10Repeat until all apple slices are battered and cooked. Let cool., then sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (1276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.2
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 12.3 mg
- Sodium 30.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 0.7 g