These are great! Best served right away so that they are still very warm. I like to use a tart apple to add a bit of flavor. They are wonderful served with maple syrup for dipping, or lightly dusted with powdered sugar, or cinnamon and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine flower, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a second bowl, add milk, one egg yolk and butter.
- In a third bowl, add 2 egg whites and beat until peaks are stiff.
- Whisk contents of bowl #1 into bowl #2 until smooth. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour oil into a medium, pot until it is 2 inches deep. Heat oil until it reaches 350°F.
- Dip apple rings into batter, then fry for approximately 3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn once.
- Serve while warm.
The DM, DS and myself have thoroughly enjoyed this as an afternoon treat which bought back memories of doing similar with fresh pineapple rings but I must admit to preferring the tartiness of the granny smith apples to the pineapples with just a touch of sweetness from the icing sugar. Thank you *Alia*. Made for Newest ZAAR Tag 2008.