Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
Great after school snack!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 1 lb apple, any variety, cut into 1/2 inch sticks, about 4 cups (about 3 apples)
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, for dusting the fritters
- Place the flour, egg and one third of the water in a bowl and mix vigorously with a whisk.
- The mixture will be fairly thick.
- When smooth, add the remaining water and mix again until the water is incorporated and the batter is thin and smooth.
- Stir the apple sticks into the batter.
- Heat the oil to 375* in a large heavy skillet.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of the batter into the pan for each fritter, making 4 or 5 at a time.
- Using forks, spread the batter out so each fritter is no more than 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until brown and crisp.
- Drain the fritters on paper towels and transfer to a plate.
- Sprinkle with sugar.