Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Serve the fritter rings drizzled with your favorite caramel sauce or use my Kittencal's Brown Sugar Caramel Sauce or Ice Cream Topping.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and cored (cut into 1/4-inch rings)
- canola oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or a heavy pot to 360°F.
- Place 1/2 cup flour into a bowl.
- In another a bowl combine 2-1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together buttermilk, water, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry mixture to form a lumpy batter.
- First dredge each apple ring into the bowl with the 1/2 cup flour; coat well on both sides, shaking off any excess flour.
- Then dredge the apple rings into the prepared buttermilk/flour batter.
- Fry about 2 minutes per side or until golden.