Recipe by Terri F.
Here's another make-it-the-night-before breakfast casserole. You don't need syrup with this one. Prep time does not include refrigerating overnight.
Top Review by Bogey'sMom
Awesome recipe. Easy to assemble the night before and bake in the morning. I used Granny Smith's because that's all I had on hand and it was still terrific. By the way, the smell was incredible while it was baking. Thanks for posting.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large apples, peeled and sliced thinly (I use Cortland or Empire)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 slices Italian bread, 1 inch thick
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and add apples.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, water, and cinnamon and continue to cook and stir for 10 minutes until apples are tender.
- Spoon mixture into 13x9 baking dish.
- Cover apples with bread slices, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Trim the bread to fit if you must.
- Beat eggs until foamy, then beat in milk and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread slices.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove the dish from the refrigerator and let it stand while oven is preheated to 375 F.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes, or until bread is golden and firm.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
- To serve on a platter, run a knife around the edges of the casserole, place platter on top of casserole, and carefully flip.
- To serve individually, use a spatula to remove serving, place serving plate on top of serving and carefully flip so apple side is up.