Recipe by Christineyy!
This is a recipe I received from my French teacher at school. It didn't specify a certain type of apple so I used granny smith because I prefer sour, but I suppose it would work with whatever is your preference. I used light cream cheese, I didn't add the walnuts, and I was also able to coat all the bread cubes with just 4 tbsp of butter instead of six, but I'm just putting the recipe on here as it is. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
Top Review by MeganMuffins
Truly a comfort dessert at its best! We enjoyed this so much! I could have eaten it all myself :) We had with a big scoop of Vanilla ice cream, which really went well together! This is already in my New Favorites Folder for further use another time!
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces French bread, loaf (with crust)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large apples
- 6 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bread into 3/4 inch cubes. Place 6 tbsp butter into bottom of a large baking pan. Melt in oven.
- Add bread cubes and toss to coat evenly. Bake bread until crisp and slightly browned, stirring occasionally (about 20 minutes). Remove bread from oven and raise temp to 400 degrees.
- Simmer brown sugar, water, and cinnamon in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved and it is syrupy (about 5 minutes). Add 2 tbsp butter to mixture while hot and stir until melted.
- Peel and core apples and cut into a small dice. Combine apples, bread cubes, cream cheese cubes, and walnuts. Pour syrup over all and toss to coat.
- Butter a 9x13 inch dish well. Pour mixture into buttered dish and spread evenly. Bake in 400 degree oven for 40 minutes. If browning too quickly, loosely cover with aluminum foil.
- Serve warm topped with whipped cream or ice cream!