Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Wonderful "company" dish - very impressive. I got this from my executive chef several years ago. He was very talented and I love this dish, especially in the summer time. You need to marinate the chicken for six hours, so make sure you start a day ahead. Serve this with your favorite chardonney.
- 3 fuji apples, peeled,cored,sliced,grilled and chopped
- 1 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons pineapple sage or 2 tablespoons regular sage, chiffonade
- 6 boneless chicken breasts, w/skin,pounded into 6 x 5 inch rectangles
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup brown chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lb thick slab bacon, cut into 1/4 " pieces,cooked until crisp and golden
- 1 red onion, sliced & grilled
- 1 lb assorted green beans, blanched
- 2 heads frisee
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- chives, for garnish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Soak 6 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine the apples, cheese and sage.
- Lay the chicken breast on a work surface, skin side down.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put about 1/4 c.
- apple mixture on the chicken, fold lengthwise and seal with a skewer.
- Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Reserve any excess stuffing.
- In a shallow dish combine the olive oil and herbs.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- Marinate, covered in the refrigerator, for 4- 6 hours.
- For the vinegarette: whisk all ingredients except oils.
- Slowly add oils, whisking until emulsified.
- Season to taste with s& p.
- In a large saute pan heat 1 tbl.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brown the chicken on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a roasting pan and bake until just done, 10- 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, discard the fat from the saute pan and add the stock.
- Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up any brown bits.
- Add the bacon, red onion, beans and s&p to taste.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a seperate bowl, toss the frisee, toasted walnuts, vinaigrette.
- Toss into the bean mixture with the reserved stuffing.
- Divide between 6 plates.
- Remove the skewers from the chicken breasts and cut each breast in half on the bias.
- Arrange ontop of the frissee mixture and garnish with chives.