Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Think of an apple pie in the apple with a crust of your favorite sugar cookie or sweet pie dough. They will be a great end to a dinner party or just for you. I have made the recipe for 1 apple, you can scale it to the number you want.
- 1 apple, I like Granny Smith (Fuji or other crisp apple will work)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- lemon juice (to keep apple from browning)
- sweet pie crusts or sugar cookie dough
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice off top 1/4 to 1/3rd of the apple.
- With small sharp knife or melon baller, carve out the apple leaving about a 1/4 inch or more shell. Be sure it is still strong enough to stand.
- Dice the apple top and insides (of course you remove the seeds and stem).
- Mix the diced apple, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Roll out your dough to about 1/4 inch.
- Use a flower or round cookie cutter and cut a top for each apple. Use a straw to make 3 or 5 holes in the center (so it looks like a flower).
- Fill apple with mix and top with flower.
- There will be extra mix - if you are doing a bunch you can make a little pie or place in a ramekins and top with the flowers.
- Brush tops with water, milk or butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Place on a sheet and bake in oven for about 40 minutes. Top should be golden and apple soft.