- 1 lb granny smith apple
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1 lb puff pastry
- 3 tablespoons marmalade
- 1⁄4 cup milk (for brushing)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, core & slice the apples & place them in a saucepan with the sugar & water, then cook them over medium-low heat until reduced to a pulp.
- Mix in the cinnamon & zest & add more sugar if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out the pastry thinly & use half of it to line a deep 8-inch pie plate.
- Spoon in the apple mixture, then gently warm the marmalade to soften it before spreading it carefully over the apple filling.
- Use the remaining pastry to make a top for the pie, & dampen the edges slightly before sealing them together completely & fluting them.
- Roll out the trimmings from the puff pastry & make pastry leaves or other decorative items for the top of the tart.
- Brush the top with milk & bake in the hot oven for 10 minutes, before reducing the oven's temperature to 375 degrees F, & bake the tart another 20-25 minutes, or until well risen & golden brown.
- Serve warm with cream.