After just making this again I think some may find the filling too thick so I am changing the instructions to say 2-4 tablespoons of cornstarch. We like our apples diced so it takes 3-4 large apples to achieve 4 cups. I also used the micro.this time stirring every couple minutes. No chance of burning on the bottom that way.
- 4 cups diced apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, depending on sweetness of apples, to taste
- 2 -4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, to your taste
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, to your taste
- 1 cup apple juice or 1 cup water, if you don't have juice, try to have juice, it adds to the flavor
- Sprinkle lemon juice over apples in saucepan.
- Mix next four ingredients together and add to apples.
- Mix well.
- Add very hot juice to pan, (I microwave juice for 2 minutes) cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Fill a well chilled 9 inch pastry lined pan and cover with top crust.
- Bake on lowest rack at 425* for 10 minutes, and finish baking on center rack until bubbling, about 20 minutes more.