Recipe by daisygrl64
Twice baked sweet potatoes, subtly flavored with orange peel and nutmeg. Land-O-Lakes Cookbook.
Top Review by BecR
Mmmm delicious! We loved the flavor combination of apple, orange, spice and sweet potato. Perfect for a chilly autumn afternoon. Would make a lovely make-ahead dish for Thanksgiving. Thank you for sharing, Daisy! Made for An Apple A Day in the photos forum.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes or 6 medium yams
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange peel, grated
- 1 cup coarsely chopped apple, cored and peeled
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oven to 375*F.
- prick sweet potatoes with a fork to allow steam to escape. bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- cut thin lenghwise slice from top of each sweet potato; scoop out inside, leaving a thin shell. set shells aside.
- in large mixer bowl place hot sweet potatoes and remaining ingredients, except apple, chopped pecan and pecan halves.
- beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often until well mixed and no lumps remain.
- by hand, stir in apple and chopped pecans.
- place shells on a 15x10x1" baking pan. fill shells with sweet potato mixture.
- if desired, garnish each potato with pecan halves.
- bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Tip: if desired do not stuff shells. spoon hot sweet potato mixture into serving bowl. if desired toast pecan halves and use to garnish sweet potato mixture.