This is an easy yeast coffee braid. Takes a little time as the dough has to chill overnight, but it has great versatility. Makes 3 braids, so you can make all apple or make 3 different flavors easily! After shaping, the dough may be refrigerated for baking another day. Cooking time includes chill and rise time.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Add butter, sugar, eggs and salt; beating well.
- Stir in the flour and knead until a smooth, satiny dough is formed.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut dough into 3rds.
- Roll each portion out to form a 10x12 sheet.
- Divide sheet of dough into 3 equal strips (each will be about 3 inches wide).
- Spoon about 2 tbsp apple filling down the length of each strip.
- Fold dough over filling to seal filling inside.
- Braid the 3 strips together to make one loaf.
- Repeat for remaining 2 portions of dough.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Cover and let rise about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until puffy and almost doubled.
- Mix egg and milk.
- Brush mixture over loaves.
- Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.