Recipe by Irmgard
This lovely dessert cake from Robin Hood Home Baking tastes just like one that my mother used to make when we were young. It is nice for dessert with ice cream on the side or with a hot cup of tea.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 4 to 5 apples)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the eggs and granulated sugar in a large bowl until thoroughly blended.
- Beat in the vegetable oil and apple juice.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir into the egg mixture, beating just until smooth.
- Spread half of the batter in a greased 9" x 9" baking pan.
- Combine the apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Toss lightly to coat.
- Spread over the batter in the pan.
- Cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan on a rack.