Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great chicken stew. I first had it at the local apple festival,I tried my best to replicate the flavor.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen lima beans
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen green beans
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock powder
- 5 potatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 6 cups cold water
- Wash chicken,add to large stock pot.Add 6 cups cold water.
- Open canned tomatoes,pour in with juice.Add frozen vegetables and seasonings.Turn on heat to med/low.
- Cover 1 hour,then vent it a little so it won't boil over.
- Cook about 2 1/2 hrs longer, stirring every 1/2 hour or so.
- Take chicken out and skin,and remove bones.Add back into pot and heat through.This can be frozen up to 3 months.
- Also this tends to be a thinner stew,add less water if you desire a thicker stew.
- Serve with yeast rolls,or corn bread.