Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is sooooo yummy! Great for breakfast or as a scrumptious dessert.
Make and share this Apple Enchiladas With Cinnamon Vanilla Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 6 apples, Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 small lemon (juice of lemon should equate to 2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, scant
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 8 egg roll wraps
- melted butter (enought to brush the tops of the enchiladas)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, mixed with
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Vanilla Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice. In a large skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat; add sliced apples.
- Sprinkle with the brown sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Cook, stirring, until apples are tender.
- Mix cornstarch with a few teaspoons of cold water then mix into apples.
- Continue cooking for a minute or two.
- Spray with nonstick butter flavored cooking spray or butter a 11x7-inch baking dish. On a large plate, lay out egg roll wrapper.
- Spoon a little of the apple mixture down the center.
- Brush ends lightly with butter then fold ends over each other, forming a roll.
- Lift and quickly move to the baking dish, placing each roll seam-side down. repeat with remaining 7 egg roll wrappers.
- Remaining apple mixture will be baked around the egg rolls, so there is no need to over-fill them.
- Brush tops of the filled wrappers with melted butter.
- Spoon remaining apples all around the edge of the rolls.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce.
- In saucepan, mix together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg; blend in cold water.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer until clear and thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Blend in butter and vanilla.
- Spoon the spiced vanilla sauce over the filled apple rolls in the pan and serve remaining sauce at the table.
- Serve "enchiladas" warm, with ice cream, if desired.
These funny 'enchiladas' are GREAT! In spite of what looked like a complicated recipe, they went together quite easily & TASTE WONDERFUL! I would never have thought of them as 'enchiladas', but then, what do I know! Definitely a recipe to keep! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's PAC]