Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From USA Weekend. I haven't tried this one yet, but it sounds like a wonderful dessert, especially for fall. USA Weekend recommends NOT using Golden Delicious apples for this recipe. This is definitely a dessert for special occasions; it's somewhat involved. :)
- 3 tablespoons softened butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons softened butter (for the sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar, plus
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar (for the sauce)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (for the sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
- 4 small apples, peeled, halved, and cored
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts (store-bought 15-ounce box)
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Cut a thin sliver off of the bottom of each apple so that they sit flat.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix 3 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and all the nuts in a small bowl.
- Spoon a portion of the mixture into each hallowed-out apple.
- For boxed pie crust, unroll one of the dough sheets onto a floured work surface.
- Pulling on side of dough to straighten rounded edges, roll it into an approximate 12-inch square.
- Then cut the dough into four 6-inch squares.
- Brush the edge of each square with egg white.
- Set an apple half on each square.
- Bring up the dough's 4 corners around the apple and pinch edges to seal.
- Place on a large (at least 12-by-18-inch) parchment-covered baking dish.
- Brush dumpling tops and sides with egg whites.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Repeat the process with remaining apples and dough.
- Bake dumplings until pastry sets and starts to turn golden, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 and bake until golden-brown, about 20 minutes longer.
- While apples bake, bring 1 cup water, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon to boil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 2 teaspoons water; whisk into hot syrup for a smooth sauce.
- Cover, keep warm.
- For each serving, spoon a portion of sauce on a dessert plate.
- Set apple dumpling over warm sauce, and serve immediately.