Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Got this in a recipe swap a few years ago from a woman who owned a small diner. She says customers really enjoyed these, maybe you will too. Eat warm from the oven or re-heat in microwave, scrumptious with vanilla ice cream. Ovens vary so bake time is a guess.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 6 tablespoons water
- 6 medium apples
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Add enough water to make dough. Divide dough into 6 equal parts. Keep covered while making filling.
- Peel and slice apples. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
- Put syrup ingredients in medium saucepan. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Roll each pastry piece into a circle. Place apples in center of each circle. Wet edges of pastry and bring up edges around the apples. Pinch to seal.
- Place dumplings in a 9x12 baking dish. Pour syrup over the top of dumplings.
- Bake at 425° about 5 minutes or until crust just starts to brown. Reduce temperature to 350° and bake 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.