Prep 40 mins
Cook 55 mins
Yummy, Apple Dumplings, A nice winter time treat. My Mother use to make the BEST Apple Dumplings this recipe is like the way she made them.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 8 -9 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable shortening
- 6 cups apples, peeled,chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- For Pastry;Mix flour and salt, and cut shortening into flour until crumbly.
- Stir in water until completely moistened.
- Then from into 3 balls.
- Flatten each ball on lightly floured surface and roll to 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut each piece into four equal parts, making 12 pieces total.
- Apple filling; Mix cinnamon and sugar.
- on each pastry (12 total), place 1/2 cup chopped apples and 1 tablespoon cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bring edges of dough to center, and pinch edges together, Place all 12 dumplings in a 9x13-inch baking dish, Pinched side down.
- Cinnamon Sauce; Bring sauce ingredients to a boil and pour generously over dumplings.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, Then Reduce Heat to 350 degrees for an additional 40 minutes.
Absolutely worth the effort! Very delicious, everyone wanted seconds! I cut the sauce by 1/3, and it was still almost too much... but it is sooooooo delicious!! I did add 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, as well, I love the flavor of nutmeg. I used an apple peeler/corer/slicer hand cranked tool, then cut each processed apple into fourths, putting one fourth into a section of dough. This gave me eight dumplings (I used two apples) and there was just the right amount of dough to do it this way. To speed things up, I just shook some cinnamon sugar on the apples before I closed the dough (I keep cinnamon sugar premade in the pantry for toast). Thanks a bunch, Barb - I loved this one, and will be making it again.
amazing southern taste
This was delicious. I didn't have enough shortening, but it still worked. I had to bake it another 20 minutes.