Recipe by Barb G.
Yummy, Apple Dumplings, A nice winter time treat. My Mother use to make the BEST Apple Dumplings this recipe is like the way she made them.
Top Review by Rebekah of SFD
Absolutely worth the effort! Very delicious, everyone wanted seconds! I cut the sauce by 1/3, and it was still almost too much... but it is sooooooo delicious!! I did add 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, as well, I love the flavor of nutmeg. I used an apple peeler/corer/slicer hand cranked tool, then cut each processed apple into fourths, putting one fourth into a section of dough. This gave me eight dumplings (I used two apples) and there was just the right amount of dough to do it this way. To speed things up, I just shook some cinnamon sugar on the apples before I closed the dough (I keep cinnamon sugar premade in the pantry for toast). Thanks a bunch, Barb - I loved this one, and will be making it again.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 8 -9 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable shortening
- 6 cups apples, peeled,chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups water
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- For Pastry;Mix flour and salt, and cut shortening into flour until crumbly.
- Stir in water until completely moistened.
- Then from into 3 balls.
- Flatten each ball on lightly floured surface and roll to 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut each piece into four equal parts, making 12 pieces total.
- Apple filling; Mix cinnamon and sugar.
- on each pastry (12 total), place 1/2 cup chopped apples and 1 tablespoon cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Bring edges of dough to center, and pinch edges together, Place all 12 dumplings in a 9x13-inch baking dish, Pinched side down.
- Cinnamon Sauce; Bring sauce ingredients to a boil and pour generously over dumplings.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, Then Reduce Heat to 350 degrees for an additional 40 minutes.