Recipe by Kris41
I got this from very sweet lady, they are wonderful. You can use fresh peaches or can peaches to make this also, I just chopped up the peaches in to small pieces and I omit the nutmeg and cinnamon in the sauce and the cinnamon in the filling but you don't have to. I think you could substitute and use almost any fruit. Blackberries sound yummy!!!!!
Top Review by Lise in Indiana
Marvelous! You're right, lots of different fruits will work in these dumplings...our favorite is chopped rhubarb! I think the syrup and the flour in the dough work some magic in the oven. It works with apples wrapped in the dough, too. Thanks for posting this delicious recipe!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 cups shredded apples
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauce: In large sauce pan add 2 cups sugar, water, margarine, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bring to boil.
- Boil 5 minutes and then set aside to cool Dough: Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- With pastry blender cut in shortening until pea size.
- Make a well in cente and add milk all at once.
- Stir till moist.
- Knead on floured surface 10 or 12 strokes or until nearly smooth.
- Roll out to 12x10 inch rectangle.
- Filling: Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Set aside.
- Sprinkle shredded apples evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle with cinnamn and sugar mixture.
- Roll dough jelly roll fashion, starting from long end.
- Pinch to seal.
- Cut into 12-1 inch slices.
- Place in a 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Pour sauce over the dumplings.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until golden and bubbly They will look like they are swimming in this sauce.
- You will be amazed at what will happen with all of the sauce as the dumplings are baking.