Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
these are a perennial fall favorite
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 6 baking apples, peeled, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix first 4 ingredients -- blend in crisco,(vegetable shortening).with a fork.
- Add milk gradually and blend with a fork till dough is soft.set aside.
- In a heavy pan, add apples and enough water to keep apples from sticking while cooking.
- Cover, bring to a boil and add dumpling dough by spoonfuls on top of apples.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook 12-15 minutes.
- Uncover pan so dumplings don't become soggy.
- For sauce:.
- boil water with lemon zest.mix sugar and cornstarch in small bowl, and add to water, stirring constantly and cook till thickened.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, margarine and spices.
- Serve over dumplings.