This is from an Amish recipe book and truly delicious!
Make and share this Apple Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Peel and core apples.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in shortening until crumbs are size of small peas.
- Sprinkle milk over mixture, and press crumbs together lightly, working dough only enough to hold it together.
- Roll dough as for pastry, and cut into 6 squares.
- Place an apple on each square and fold pastry to surround apple.
- Place in a casserole dish.
- Combine brown sugar, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan.
- Cook for 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- add butter and stir.
- Pour sauce over dumplings.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, brush pastry with sauce twice during baking.