Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very old recipe. Very delicious, easy to make and simple. Posted in response to a request.
- 1 (46 ounce) jarsweetened applesauce (6 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2⁄3 cup milk, room temperature
- Combine applesauce, brown sugar, 3/4 tsp nutmeg and cinnamon in a large saucepan.
- Heat over medium low heat untilsugar is dissolved and sauce is bubbling.
- In mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- Beat the egg, stir into buter and milk and add all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir together until just moistened and stiff.
- Drop by heaping TBS onto bubbling applesauce.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Do not lift lid.
- Serve with pouring cream or whipped cream.
Yum! These were really good. They make a good pudding for cold winter evenings. They weren't really dumplings though as they all got stuck together and floated on the top of the fruit.