Recipe by HisPixie
From 1943 "The Modern Family Cook Book" by Meta Given. I haven't tried this yet. Saved so I remember to do so. There is another version of this on this site that the poster said was a "very old" recipe but it was different than this one.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups applesauce, thin fresh cooked ("or No. 2-1/2 tin")
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, measure, and resift with sugar, baking powder, and salt, into mixing bowl.
- Add butter and mix with finger tips.
- Combine beaten egg and milk and pour into dry ingredients; beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Heat the applesauce, combine with cinnamon and lemon juice, and pour into a large baking dish (10x6.5x2 inches).
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto the hot applesauce. Cover and bake in a hot oven (450 degrees) for 25 to 30 minutes, until crust is golden brown.
- Serve with cream or top milk.