Prep 12 mins
Cook 45 mins
Serve this warm with a dollop of whipped cream--YUM!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 spice cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- Heat oven to 350*.
- Grease bottom of 13x9 pan.
- Spread apples and raisins over bottom of pan.
- In lg bowl, combine cake mix, the 1/2 cup water, butter, sour cream and eggs.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Spoon evenly over fruit in pan.
- In sm saucepan, bring 2 cups water and brown sugar to boiling.
- Pour over batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until pick comes out clean.
Ahh...Mizz Nez, I am so glad you shared this wonderful cake recipe. It is really so good!! The cake does remind me of apple dumplings without all of the work of making them. I actually shared this with my brother because he loves apple dumplings so much. He gave it a 5 thumbs up, and asked me to give the recipe to my SIL. So, I guess they will be making it again, and so will I. Thanks for sharing this one out of your millions of great recipes! :-)
I had a craving for a good apple dessert. Your cake was very delicious and exactly what I was looking for. It does taste a lot like apple dumplings without all the bother. My husband and I got a yummy in our tummy feeling. I am planning on making this again for Thanksgiving Eve, when all my family will start showing up for the holidays. Thank-you Inez.
This is the exact same recipe listed in my 1980 Pillsbury Sweet Success book!
which even has a picture of it. Should resemble an upside down cake. I also make it tad different to cut calories some. I used yellow cake mix, 1 tspn cinnamon, 1/8 tspn cloves, 1/8 tspn nutmeg, I only used 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup butter and put in 1/2 cup applesauce.