Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
AWESOME apple recipe. Don't really know why it is called a cake, because it is more like an apple crisp, with an extra thick, crunchy topping. Gotta try!!
- 6 -7 cooking apples (any apple works fine)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- Crisco cooking oil
- Grease 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Slice enough apples to fill pan about half way.
- Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and egg.
- Mixture will be crumbly (I usually just do this with my hands, but you could use a pastry cutter) Sprinkle oil over top (works well to hold your finger over the top of the bottle so that you don't end up with big globs of oil) Sprinkle with additional sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Optional: Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes to brown topping (I usually do this because it makes it extra tasty).
This is a great dessert when you want something that is fast and tasty. It's a nice blend of sweet and tart if you use Granny Smiths or other tart varieties.