Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in my "Teacher in Space Cookbook". It was submitted by Utah's Teacher in Space, Linda Preston. (I guessed at the yield amount)
- 354.88 ml sifted flour
- 8.62 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml nutmeg
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml shortening
- 1 beaten egg
- 59.14 ml milk
- 118.29 ml grated apple
- 118.29 ml butter, melted
- cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and sugar.
- Cut in shortening.
- Mix in egg, milk and apples.
- Fill greased muffing pans or doughnut baking pan 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While they are still warm, roll in 1/2 cup melted butter and then roll in cinnamon-sugar (1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/3 cup sugar).
I have this recipe from my friend Hazel and they are the best doughnuts. I bake them in mini muffin tins so they are more like doughnut holes. This recipe makes approximately 30 doughnut holes. I just made a double batch, they were gone in days. The only difference in the recipe that I have is that it calls for 1/2 cup shortening. When I made these last week I chopped the apple and partly cooked it before adding it to the dough. Next time I make these I think I'll try adding sour cherries instead of apples. Got to love cherry doughnuts!
Great recipe - they didn't get a chance to get cold! Thanks
These were delicious!! Thank you.