Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this while idly perusing a cookbook at my sister's house--I'm not sure which book (doh!). This is fairly unique to me, and I think the flavors just work together beautifully. It was just okay as written, but for us mixing in the rice (instead of serving separately) and the addition of 1/2 t salt really made the meal.
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup wild rice
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- Cook rice in about 3 c water (drain excess).
- Heat oil and butter then slowly add onion.
- Cut the chicken into pieces while the veggies cook and add to pan.
- Core and slice apples and add to skillet. Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes.
- Add juice, wine, and sugar. Crush bouillion cube and add. Bring to a boil and cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in salt, mustard, and milk, then stir in cooked rice.
Very interesting dish which we really enjoyed. I was able to buy a brown rice/wild rice mix, which I quite liked and am pleased to have found it so that we can enjoy more of this! I would have cooked the apples slightly longer, but DH liked them as was. Overall this was really good, I enjoyed the sweetness from the apples with the tang of mustard, and I enjoyed the texture of the rice. Very nice, thank you smellyvegetarian, this dish was made for ZWT 8