Recipe by Olha
Begin this dessert 40 minutes before serving. It is like an upside down apple cake.
Top Review by ladyinredredroses
I absolutely love this recipe, I've been making it for my family for over 30 years. I have mostly served it for breakfast and have reduced the sugar with good success. I have even made it with other fruit, especially good with peaches and can be made with or without cinnamon. I got the recipe originally from Good Housekeeping.
- 1 large golden delicious apple
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core apple; cut into 1/8-inch thick slices. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch skillet with all metal handle (or handle covered with heavy duty foil), over medium low heat, melt butter (do not use margarine because is separates from sugar during cooking). Stir in cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar; remove skillet from heat.
- In butter mixture in skillet, arrange apple slices, overlapping them slightly. Repeat with smaller circle of apple slices in center.
- Return skillet to low heat; cook 10 minutes or until apples are tender crisp.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F In medium bowl, with fork beat flour, milk, baking powder, salt, and egg yolks until blended; set aside.
- In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and remaining 1/3 cup sugar until soft peaks form. With rubber spatula, gently fold egg-white mixture into egg yolk mixture.
- Cover apple slices in skillet with egg mixture; with rubber spatula, spread batter evenly.
- Bake pancake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove skillet from oven. Carefully invert dessert onto large platter to serve. 8 servings.
- Good Housekeeping.