Recipe by Dinglebop
This recipe is my Grandma Andy's that was published in the Kraft Whats Cooking Magazine winter 2005. Hope you enjoy her recipe as much as I do.
Top Review by Gerry
A wonderful apple dessert! The fall apple crop had me looking for new apple desserts - this one was as delicious as I thought it would be. The cheddar cheese, toasted almonds, the raisins along with the breadcrumbs make for a winner. Looks lovely plated. That grandma Andy so knows how to cook - and you obviously know how to pick those recipes! Thank you for sharing.
- 5 apples, peeled sliced (5 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 cups shredded medium cheddar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup toasted sliced almonds or 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup sultana raisin (dried cranberries or cherries)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Toss prepared apples with 1/4 cup of the white sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Spread into a buttered 9 inch baking pan.
- Mix the flour, bread crumbs, remaining 1/4 cup white sugar, shredded cheese, almonds and raisins( or fruit of choice).
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake 40 minutes or until golden and apples are tender.
- Serve warm with whipping cream, or ice cream.
- Apple recommended is Gala, Granny Smith, Ida Red,Pinks, or Spartan, an apple that holds its shape when cooked.