Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
isn't it great when something that tastes so good is actually good for you, too?
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled,cored and chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup butter, cut into bits and softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- In a saucepan, combine apples, sugar, lemon juice and water and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Add dates and simmer, uncovered, stirring and mashing dates, for 3-5 minutes, or until dates are soft and mixture is almost smooth and let puree cool.
- In a bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, salt, flour, walnuts and cinnamon and blend well.
- Press half of flour mixture evenly into prepared pan.
- Spread puree over, and crumble remaining flour mixture over puree, pressing lightly to form an even layer.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut into 36 bars.
Made this for the PAC 06 and was very pleased with the results, it is very moist and very moreish...I found it easy to make but nearly forgot to add the walnuts. These were added to the top crumble only, but it didn't seem to make much difference, the were a hit!! Another winner Ev, thank you!
Delicious moist bars, the bottom crust was a bit on the hard side even though I mixed all the ingredients in a processor though, thanks Ev!...Kitten:)