As a child I always loved when my grandmother made her date nut bread...This recipe comes a very close second in favorite recipes from Grammie...However, Grammie didn't know about the food pyramid or healthy eating...I've adapted many of her recipes to include healthier ingredients and this is one of them
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup apple, peeled & grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a lg bowl combine the whole wheat and all purpose flours, bran, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir in the dates.
- In another bowl, beat the egg substitute with sugar and oil until well mixed, then stir in the milk and apple.
- Pour into the flour mixture and stir just enough to moisten, being careful not to overmix.
- Spoon into nonstick or paper-lined medium muffin tins, filling almost to the top.
- Bake in the preheated 375°F oven for about 20 minute or until firm to the touch.
I loved the concept of these muffins,but I'm G F so I adapted the flours and wheat bran and used Betty Hagmans four bean flour mix for muffins and they turned out Great The flours are comp to regular flour
These were delcious! They are packed with flavor! I didn't need to change a thing!I used one red delcious apple and it worked out fine! I also got 15 muffins instead of 12. Thanks very much for this delcious and healthy muffin recipe!