Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 1 refrigerated prepared 9-inch pie crust
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 medium granny smith apples, peeled,quartered,cored and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup pitted dates, snipped into small pieces (3 1/2 ounces)
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, about half coarsely chopped
- Adjust oven rack to the lowest position and heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and blend the yolks and whites.
- Brush about 1 teaspoon of the beaten egg over the rim of the pie crust dough.
- Add the vanilla, brown sugar, flour, baking powder to the eggs.
- Stir until well blended.
- Stir in apples, dates and pecans.
- Spread the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the pie on a wire rack.
- Serve at room temperature.
I made this pie for my Family. ,Guess what they loved it ! I followed the exact recipe and it was perfect.
We added some nutmeg, and we had to bake it about an hour, otherwise followed the recipe exactly. The combination of apples, dates and pecans in a pie tastes great! We decided to make this our default apple pie recipe.
My grandmother used to make a version of this pie, but she also added raisins, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Over the years I have improved on the original recipe by drizzling maple syrup on top just before baking and serving with warm maple syrup and vanilla ice cream or custard.