Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
In 'Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies'
Make and share this Apple-Dapple Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 2 prebaked pie crusts (9-inch)
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups light vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups diced apples
- 1 cup chopped nuts (raw or toasted, pecans, walnuts, almonds)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the apples and nuts until evenly combined, then spoon the mixture into the 2 crusts.
- Cover pie crust edges with crust shield; bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean, then transfer to wire racks to cool.
- As soon as the pies are out of the oven, prepare the topping by mixing the butter, sugar, and milk in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
- After the pies have cooled for 10 minutes, pour 3/4 of the topping over the pies, then cool the pies completely (about 1 hour), or enjoy them warm.
- Serve the leftover topping on the side for people who want extra on their slice.