Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Old-fashioned goodness moist, like grandmother used to make. There is a similar recipe online but it does not have cinnamon. restaurant request from Burton's Sunnybrook Restaurant
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups peeled and chopped apples, Granny Smith
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup firmely packed brown sugar
- whipped cream (optional)
- TO PREPARE CAKE:
- Preheat oven to 350*. Spray a 13x9 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Beat together sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until light.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir flour mixture into egg mixture until well-combined.
- Stir in apple and walnuts.
- Spread in prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or toothpick clean inserted in center.
- TO PREPARE TOPPING:.
- Combine buter, half and half and brown sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool slightly and Pierce cake with a knife a few times so topping will penetrate.
- spread on warm cake.
- Serve with whipped cream if want.