Recipe by Fauve
My college roommate's grandmother used to send us slices of this delicious cake while we roomed together. I begged my roommate to get the recipe from her grandmother. I copied this recipe down during a long distance phone call to her grandmother. Since that day, I've made this many times over. My children today love this one and call it Mom's "college cake".
Top Review by soonermama
Made this yesterday as written, and baked in a bundt pan - I had to bake it a little bit longer than the hour baking time, because when I inserted a toothpick it was a tad gooey. Served it with vanilla ice cream and my family absolutely loved it... some asked when we could have it again! Such a yummy treat! Thank you, Fauve, for a winner!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups salad oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped apples (Granny Smith works well)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix eggs, oil and sugar; blend well.
- Add flour, salt and soda.
- Mix well.
- Fold in vanilla, chopped apples and nuts.
- Place into a greased (Pam sprayed) 8-9" tube pan.
- Bake at 350* for one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping: Combine all topping ingredients in saucepan and cook for 2 1/2 minutes.
- While cake is still in the tube pan and still hot, pour warm topping over it.
- Let cake set in pan until cool, or room temperature.
- Invert cake with topping onto serving dish.
- Store covered.