Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I have had this recipe for years, but I have no idea where it came from or who gave it to me. On a whim, I tried it for a brunch buffet, and was glad I did. It's moist, rich, and delicious, and disappeared quickly.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups apples, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 325. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinammon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Mix sugar, oil, sour cream, and applesauce until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Stir in apples and nuts, if using.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325 for approximately 1 hour, 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes and remove to rack.
- For icing, mix sugar, milk, and butter in saucepan. Let come to a boil and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and beat until smooth. Spoon over cake.
- Store covered with a cake dome.
Rich and moist and the icing glaze was awesome too! This was enjoyed so much by all of us that the kids have already asked me to make another one! I guess they liked it, I know DH and I did :)
This is a wonderful moist cake! I didn't have applesauce~I substituted apple butter. Result, a moist, tasty cake that I'll make again. Family/friends loved it. Thank you for sharing!!!!