Recipe by Theresa P
Apple season is here again and I am dying to try this recipe! It just begs to be baked on a cool fall afternoon, filling the kitchen with those yummy, warm, cinnamon-apple smells! It comes from a Taste of Home Cookbook -- "Contest Winning Annual Recipes 2004”.
Top Review by Diane R
I've made this multiple times over the years and it is absolutely wonderful! Best of all, it's fairly inexpensive, very easy to make but looks and tastes like you went to all kinds of trouble ;) Give this one a go, you won't be disappointed!
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust, combine flour, ground almonds, and sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Add extract.
- Shape dough into a ball and place between 2 sheets of waxed paper.
- Roll dough into a 10 inch circle and transfer to a greased 9 inch springform pan.
- Press the dough gently around bottom and up sides of pan.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, and cream of tartar until smooth.
- Add the egg and beat on low until combined.
- Pour over crust.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Add apples and stir until combined.
- Spoon apples over filling and sprinkle with the slivered almonds.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Run knife around edge of pan to loosen and cool for another hour.
- Refrigerate overnight, and then remove sides of pan.