Recipe by Taylor in Belgium
This is great for an afternoon coffee group, or something sweet and special for breakfast or brunch! I use Granny Smith for the extra tart taste! I know the recipe has been in the family for over 90 years.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 cups peeled sliced apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I always use liberally)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut shortening into flour and salt mixture.
- Combine milk and egg yolk and add to flour mixture.
- Pat 1/2 of the dough into jelly roll pan 11"x16".
- Arrange apple slices on crust.
- Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon and sprinkle over apples.
- Dot with margarine.
- Roll out remaining dough and cover apple layer.
- Brush top of dough with slightly beaten egg white.
- Bake at 375 for 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly then make glaze by blending glaze ingredients and drizzling over warm danish.