Recipe by andypandy
I am sure everyone has this recipe somewhere in their cookbooks, but this is mine,
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crisco vegetable shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk, plus (see instructions)
- 8 cups peeled sliced apples
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup lightly crushed corn flakes
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup powdered confectioners' sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Pastry-- Combine in a bowl, the flour, shortening, salt, and cut with a knife until mealy.
- Beat the egg yolk in a cup measure and fill with the milk to the 2/3 cup measure line-- Blend this milk/egg mixture into the dry ingredients to make a dough.
- Roll half the dough to fit a 15x10x1-inch cookie sheet with edges.
- Sprinkle the cornflakes over the bottom crust.
- Arrange the apples neatly over the cornflakes.
- Sprinkle on the cinnamon and white sugar.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the apples, sealing in the edges.
- Cut slits into top pastry.
- Beat the egg white until frothy, and brush over entire top.
- Bake 375°F until golden, about 50 minutes.
- Remove, and place on a wire rack.
- Mix the powdered sugar with the cream for a nice thick glaze and drizzle over the warm squares.
- When cool cut into squares, or can be served warm.