1/3 Photos of Apple Custard Tart
1 hr 40 mins
This is an excellent tart to serve any time. The custard and apples make a great combination.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (8 inch) pie crusts
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1/2 tablespoon cognac
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple brandy
- 1 1/2 lbs granny smith apples
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Prick the bottom of the shell and chill for 20 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- 3Line the unbaked pastry shell with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- 4Fill tart pan with pie weights or beans, making sure the weights are to the top of the pan and evenly distributed over the entire surface.
- 5Bake crust for 20 to 25 minutes until crust is dry and lightly browned.
- 6Remove weights and cool crust on wire rack.
- 7In a small saucepan heat the apricot preserves until boiling.
- 8Remove from heat and strain to get rid of lumps. Add the Cognac
- 9When cool, spread a thin layer of warm apricot glaze over the bottom and sides of the tart.
- 10Let the glaze dry between 20 - 30 minutes.
- 11In a large bowl whisk the flour and sugar together.
- 12Mix in the eggs and stir with a wooden spoon to make a smooth paste.
- 13Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, heat the half-and-half until it just starts to boil and the cream foams up.
- 14Remove from heat and gradually whisk into the egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- 15Whisk in the Apple Brandy.
- 16Add vanilla now and set this mixture aside while you prepare the apples.
- 17Peel, core, and slice the apples into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 18Melt the 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat and stir in the 2 - 4 tablespoons sugar.
- 19Add the apples and sauté until they begin to soften, approximately 5 - 10 minutes. Set the cooked apples aside.
- 20Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- 21Arrange the apple wedges in concentric circles on top of the cooled and glazed tart shell. Carefully pour the custard over the apples to just below the top of the tart pan
- 22Sprinkle lightly with the Cinnamon Sugar.
- 23Place tart pan on a larger baking sheet to make it easier to remove from oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the custard has set.
- 24Place the tart under the broiler in the oven just long enough to caramelize the sugar. To prevent the edges of the tart shell from over-browning, you can cover them with a thin piece of aluminum foil or pie shields.
- 25Serve with softly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Custard Tart
Serving Size: 1 (1406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2469.4
- Calories from Fat 977
- Total Fat 108.6 g
- Saturated Fat 44.1 g
- Cholesterol 551.2 mg
- Sodium 1088.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 356.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.6 g
- Sugars 206.4 g
- Protein 33.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: