Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have NOT made this yet! I'm just posting it so I have it stored. Prepare before dinner and bake after dinner for a quick dessert.
- 6 -8 slices bread (depends on thickness)
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam (approx)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 125 ml milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large apple, grated
- 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- brown sugar, extra
- Heat milk in a small saucepan until almost boiling. Add sugar and vanilla, stir to dissolve. Take off the heat.
- Lightly spray 2 individual ramekin dishes with oil. Cut the bread using a pastry/scone cutter (or similar) into rounds the same size as the ramekin dishes.
- Spread the tops of each bread piece with jam.
- Place one piece of bread on the bottom of each ramekin, jam side up.
- Put some grated apple on top, sprinkle with a little of the nuts and some nutmeg.
- Whisk the eggs into the warm milk mixture. Put a few spoonfuls on top of the apple mixture, then place another piece of bread on top, jam side up.
- Continue the layer again- apple, nuts, nutmeg and custard mixture. You may have to make more depending on how big your ramekins are and how big the apple was.
- Finally, top with one more piece of bread (jam side down this time).
- Sprinkle the tops with nutmeg and sugar.
- Pour over the remaining custard mix.
- Place in the fridge and let rest for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Bake for 20 minutes or so until the custard is cooked through.
What a delicious, light dessert! I enjoyed the combination of tartness from the apricot jam and grated apple, the earthiness of the nutmeg and the crunch of the walnuts. I also thought the texture was just right--spongey and light--and the light vanilla flavor from the custard was perfect. Thank you for this delicious dessert recipe!