Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A different chicken dish! I've also taken the 'crouton' mixture, and used it for stuffing a roasted bird--also excellent. Don't worry about being too exact with 3/4 and 1/8 teaspoons, I just throw it in by feel. also, curry powder, poultry seasoning, you get different brands and types in different countries, use a mild to medium curry powder, whatever you prefer. From "Cooking Class Cookbook"
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, split (or use four de-boned fillets)
- 1 cup apple juice, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 medium apple
- 1 medium onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups croutons
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 slices apples (to garnish)
- fresh thyme sprig (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease 1 quart (1L) round baking dish.
- Arrange uncooked chicken breasts in single layer in prepared dish.
- Combine 1/4 cup apple juice, salt and pepper, in a small bowl. Brush all of juice mixture over chicken.
- Apple: Peel if preferred-not mandatory. Cut lengthwise into quarters, remove stem, core and seeds. Chop into 1/2 pieces, place in large bowl.
- Onion: Chop coarsely, toss chopped onion with apple pieces.
- Stir croutons, raisins, brown sugar, curry, poultry seasoning and garlic powder into apple-onion mixture. Toss with remaining 3/4 cup apple juice.
- Spread crouton mixture over chicken.
- Cover with foil or lid; bake 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Garnish if desired.
For the croutons I used Black Rye Bread (Abm) which had a nice amount of herbs. After reading the reviews I decided to place the Rough cut apple and onion in the food processor and pulse to small rough chop for quicker cooking. I did double the curry. This was delish! I loved spiciness and the sweetness a every so slight crunch. This is a must make for easiness and deliciousness. Thanks!
Good tasting chicken, but I had a problem with the cooking times. Just a tad under 1 1/2 hours. But, I have to say, that the flavors were excellent.5 chicken breast were used for me. Will probably make again with the adjusted cooking time. Made for Potluck tag.
Having read the prior reviews, I took their suggestions under consideration and had a wonderful meal. As a person who tends towards strong flavors I used the full amount of seasoning for just two servings; mixed the herbs, spices and sugar together and brushed half on the chicken and used the remaining amount for the dressing. Although I did not saute ahead of time I agree with French Tart that that would improve the result as I felt mine were a bit too raw for my tastes. Like I'mPat I lifted the lid for the last 10 minutes and the croÃ»tons were perfect. Moist and tender underneath and crispy crunchy on the top. The chicken, split breasts were perfectly cooked, moisted by there little blanket. Easy satisfying and low in added fat. Thanks KE.